Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hanging Rock State Park

Aaaahhh (pleasant sigh)... Sundays are scheduled to be "rest days" in my triathlon training program. So, I was heistant when Chris suggested we go to Hanging Rock State Park last Sunday, but it's not like I'm an Olympian - who needs rest? (Apparently I do since my workouts on the following Monday and Tuesday were practically worthless after hiking for three hours to an elevation of some 2,000 feet.) But it was absolutely worth it! The views were spectacular, and it was just so beautiful being out in nature.



After climbing to the top of Hanging Rock - which incidentally, I can say I wouldn't have been quite so eager to do had I seen that week's news involving the collapse of the famous stone archway in Utah - we ate our picnic lunch and then went in search of the several waterfalls. The water was refreshingly cold and we spent a good hour or so lounging in the wading pool.



(Just to clarify: The picture of me makes it appear that I am sliding down the rock wall, but I am certainly not that adventurous. I could only handle sitting there long enough for Chris to take a picture. The realistic version of a waterfall (aka frigid water beating on your back) is not as glamourous as it seems.... )

Overall, another great day taking in the beauty of North Carolina! This tired body would have classified the trail slightly higher than its current "moderate difficulty" rating, but as I said, it was definitely worth the work (and the soreness) - oh and the humor of the pharmacy TRAILER at the foot of the park. This was definitely country-style NC! Too bad nothing is open on Sundays here, so I couldn't even stop in and get some meds for my aches and pains.

2 comments:

Kathryn and Ari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn and Ari said...

How gorgeous! That's my kind of perfect day (minus the dicey pharmacy, maybe). I'm such a sucker for waterfalls and dropping pools--I could spend all day kicking around a place like that!

Hope the Tri-training is going well. I still have't healed my right shoulder, so any swimming that isn't paddling around a shallow lake is out for me right now. That means I'm living vicariously through you. So, next Sunday, just think of me hanging out somewhere deep inside your brain and shouting, "WEEEEEEEEE!! Isn't this fun?!?!?!"