Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Trinity - Part 1

As my little four-year olds are learning about the Trinity of God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit this evening in Mustard Seed Club, I thought I would share a little bit more about three fully intertwined happenings in my life that this awesome Trinity orchestrated for me this year. I work at First Pres, which supports El Buen, which is where I tutor two fifth graders and where I coach Girls on the Run. (Did you follow all of that?) Tonight is a special Wednesday night production at church because it is Latino Night. The members of El Buen are our invited guests for the evening and there is a special presentation on immigration issues following what I anticipate will be an amazing Mexican-themed dinner. It will be so much fun to see my tutoring kids and the Girls on the Run girls in such a different setting.


Unfortunately, I will not be able to hear the presentation with the adults because I will be off in the regular kids' programming. Mustard Seed Club really has been pretty good so far. The classrooms are so bright and colorful - how can that not be fun?! I've only had to lead music once as there's only so much impersonating a monkey I can handle... (Explanation: two of the songs just happen to involve acting like a monkey with lyrics such as:

"Who is the King of the Jungle? (hoo hoo - scratch your armpits)

Who is the King of the Sea? (bubble, bubble, bubble)

Who is the King of the Universe? And Who's the King of me?

I tell you J-E-S-U-S. Yes! He is the King of me.

He is the King of the Universe and He's the King of me.")

It really is a cute song and has a catchy tune...

Anyway, just to tell you a little more about First Pres. There are three different buildings that stretch from right next door to our apartment all the way to the end of the block. Building A (the original) houses the sanctuary, fellowship hall, Sunday School classrooms, and most important to me, the Children’s ministry department (and therefore, my office – which I share with the other assistant, Melinda, who comfortingly reminds me of my “second mom” from back home, Jeri. There’s something about the way they talk…they just SOUND a lot alike!) Building B is the “cool” building where the junior high and high school ministries are located, in addition to all of the offices of the pastors and other very important people. Building C is simply the Worship Center where the 11:00 contemporary service is held – basically it’s an auditorium with state of the art sound/visuals for the stage. It’s very much more “rock concert” than most people expect from “church.” There’s a plastic cage around the drum set, which in itself must mean something impressive, right?

To fulfill my 12 hours/week commitment, I work in the office from 8-3 on Tuesdays preparing for my Wed and Sun classes, creating newsletters, updating the website, etc. Then Wednesday nights involve a whole church meal time followed by the Mustard Seed Club where 3 and 4-year-olds sing (e.g. aforementioned songs) as one combined group before breaking up into 3 smaller classes for lessons, activities, and snacks. And, finally Sunday mornings just involve making sure all of the teachers show up for the 4th/5th grade Grapple classes. The boys and girls have separate classes and they “grapple” with tough questions like:

  • Why are my friends mean sometimes?
  • What if Jesus is a liar?
  • Why can't I go to PG-13 movies?
  • Is God a party pooper?

Tell me THAT'S not totally different than any Sunday School class you've ever envisioned!

This church has really pulled together some high-ranking names in these last few weeks as well. Dr. John Trent, award-winning author of The Blessing , and creator of the Lion, Otter, Beaver, Golden Retriever personality groups (WCC LifeGroup - we miss you!), put on a three-hour parenting conference last Saturday. Yes, in the spirit of PREPARING to be a parent someday, I went.

And, this Sunday, Laura Story, famous for her (now overplayed) song on the radio, "Mighty to Save," (and also songwriter of Chris Tomlin's "Indescribable") is going to be our guest worship leader! How awesome is that?!

I am truly blessed! Stay tuned for Parts 2 and 3 (El Buen Tutoring and Girls on the Run).

No comments: