Tuesday, January 20, 2009

(Pseudo-)Snow Day!

After last week's frigid temperatures in central Illinois, I feel almost guilty posting this - but it's so unbelievable that I have to share! It's a Snow Day in Winston-Salem today. It is 24 degrees (above zero - not below) and it snowed early this morning. All schools are canceled; our church is closed; the ticker on the tv is non-stop with closings or delays. And here are a few pictures from outside our door.


In all fairness, apparently there is more snow in the out-lying areas and perhaps the roads are slick - so since people don't know how to drive in conditions like these, the city basically shuts down. I had been told all about this, but I just couldn't believe it until it actually happened!



And, of all the days for this to happen, today is the best! I was supposed to go to my horseback riding class today, and then work at church, but since neither of those will be taking place, I get to watch all-day coverage of the presidential inauguration! HOW EXCITING!

Hope you are all able to enjoy this moment in American history - whether it's a day full of snow or, for me, a pseudo-snow day.

2 comments:

amber said...

I can see why the city shut down! :) Like you said though, at least it was a good day to be able to stay in. Miss you! I'm in need of thinking about warmer weather so I'll probalby be sending out a canoe-a-palooza email sometime soon! :)
Love you

Kathryn and Ari said...

The same thing used to happen when I lived in St. Louis. I'd look around at all the closures and say, 'you've got to be kidding me!'"

Can't wait to hear what you thought about the inauguration. Greg and I were glued to the tv for a good part of the day. I thought the speech extraordinary! I'm so pround of our country right now.